˟

The Story of the Jerusalem Icon of the Mother of God


The Jerusalem Icon of the Mother of God, by tradition, was written by the holy Evangelist Luke in the 15th year after the Ascension of the Lord at Gethsemane (48).
 

In the year 463 the image was transferred to Constantinople. By the intercession of the Jerusalem Icon of the Most Holy Mother of God the Byzantine army repulsed an invasion of the Skyths. In 988 the icon was transferred to Korsun and given to the holy Equal-to-the-Apostles prince Vladimir. When the people of Novgorod accepted Christianity, Saint Vladimir then sent them this image. Ivan the Terrible in 1571 transferred the icon to the Moscow Uspenie (Dormition) cathedral. During the time of the Napoleonic invasion of 1812 the original vanished and was replaced by an accurate copy.


Panagia Ierosolymitissa (Gr. Ιεροσολυμίτισσα – Most Holy Lady of Jerusalem) is a very popular icon of the Theotokos because it overlooks the empty tomb of the Most Holy Theotokos at the Sepulcher of the Mother of God in Gethsemane—blessing the numerous pilgrims visiting the Holy Land of Jerusalem. The underground tomb of the Virgin Mary is situated in the Kidron Valley, on the foothills of the Mount of Olives, where the Saviour often prayed with His disciples. It is attributed to the Theotokos since it is believed that the Apostles gathered at this location and buried the most-pure body of the Mother of God. Her icon remains there as an endless spring of blessings for all the Christians, celebrated (or venerated) by the name “Panagia Ierosolimitissa”.

Source: https://dormitioninconcord.wordpress.com/2012/10/25/ierosolymitissa-the-jerusalem-icon-of-the-mother-of-god/



https://catalog.obitel-minsk.com/

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment